Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chemo Brain

Chemo Brain - term used to describe confusion, inability to concentrate, disorientation. An occasional side affect from chemo drug Cyclophosphamide.

I seem to be experiencing that more often now. It usually last for under a minute, just a moment when you can't quickly form an answer to a simple question.

Two days ago I had a Chemo Brain Fart, if you will, that lasted about 20 min. I was driving to get an oil change  for the car, in an area that was known to me. I decided to cut through a plaza to avoid some traffic on an intersection, and turn right. I did exactly that, except when I drove 5 min in the correct direction I instantly felt like I was going the wrong way turned around and went the opposite direction for a few blocks, when again I felt like I was going the wrong way, turned back and went a different way at that intersection. In the end, I did this 4 times, going every way on that intersection, going a few blocks and then turning around. Finally I realized that my initial cut through the plaza was correct and I got to the oil change place.
I felt like I was completely disoriented and didn't know the right way was. Although, my driving ability was not compromised, it felt scary. I didn't even change my oil at that place because they wanted to charge me way too much. Bummer.

The day after, I had a small incident when I could not formulate an answer. That lasted only seconds, but I still noticed it.

This will certainly be up high on the list of things I will talk to my doctor when I see him.
The muscle pain seems to be more tolerable now. Could be the potassium rich food I been eating. I still get tired/exhausted  randomly throughout the day to the point where I need to drop everything I'm doing and sit down. Also, as of yesterday evening, my spleen started to annoy me a little. I would rate the pain about 4 out of 10. More of a discomfort really. But it again prevents me from sleeping on my side.

I push myself to be active by visiting friends, family and going out as much as I can. Tanya keeps me on my toes as well.

5 comments:

  1. Yet for more updates...:)). N on the Brain freeze topic, I shall be testing your alertness and answering skills tonight!! ;)

    Xoxo Olichka

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story with an intersection... sounds like a scary dream or something.. Next time you would driver back and force near your house and try to recall where do you live..;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't comment on the driving since I seem to drive that way all the time. But chemo fog is very scary. I forgot I had a lunch visit with 2 friends and went out for lunch and ate by myself. I got a big calendar on the frig. now and everyone calls to remind me of appointments with them. Because I forget 2 mins. after I talk to someone. The Dr. Is not worried unless you become a danger to yourself.
    But I'm glad to hear you are doing ok. Any news on the marijuana situation? I get my 1st. Treatment of PACLitaxel this wednesday. Stay strong and positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tzar - sorry to her the news brother. Sounds like you are attacking it like a champion. Hope you are doing well and enjoying life to its fullest.

    take care bud.
    GHo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. This sounds scary, can't imagine how it feels.
    Molochinka for staying active! Haven't seen you since your bday, we should get together again soon.
    Hugz,
    Ksu

    ReplyDelete