Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Possible Digestive Issues

Yesterday I had a scare. I went to the washroom, and saw a lot of blood in my stool. This has never happened to me before in my life. I immediately called the oncologist, and had an appointment scheduled the next morning 9am (today). Meanwhile, I started searching online for answers. From my research this could a side affect from the Cyclophosphamide drug in the RCHOP regimen. That drug lowers the platelets (see through liquid in which red and white blood swim, its responsible for clotting and preventing bleeding).
I also had a day when my stool was very black, almost charcoal color. It happened once, and was fine after. I looked it up, and it seems to be a common side affect. There is no need to do anything about it right now, but something to watch.

Today in the morning I did a blood test, my platelets levels are fine for a chemo patient. My doc didn't have a good idea why it happened, but she gave me some food softeners (not a laxative)  to help with the digestion.
I was told that if it happens again, I would be directed to a gastrointestinal (GI) doc, who will put a camera up my butt, and see whats going on. I really really really hope it doesn't happen again.

I still get tired on daily basis, and my beard started to fall out. I carefully examined 1 beard hair, and it seems that the root is almost 2x thinner than the body. This falls in line with the side affects of chemo, hair thinning.

My chemo #3 is coming up on the 13th of March. I asked my doc again about trying marijuana, she was hesitant, I felt as if she had a personal vendetta against using pot for genuine reasons. The pills don't seem to work very well, of course there are other pills I can try, but there are so many and it seems the only way to find the one that works is through trial and error. Like I said before, I am against pills, if there are natural alternatives that work..who isn't? So meanwhile, I have secured some quality marijuana, and I will test it after my chemo. If it does, I will insist on getting a prescription.

I can also say that I no longer have a neutral attitude towards chemo I had the first 2 rounds. I am now not looking forward to it at all. The overall symptoms and side affects seem to be intensifying with each round. But by no means I am scared or anything. I still maintain that I have felt worse after some hardcore partying.

Also, being bald is awesome. All my friends say it looks pretty good, and I really like the fact that I don't have to brush it, and my head is dry after shower. I might actually keep the baldness after chemo.

5 comments:

  1. Vlad, dear, for digestive issue (as softener) may be try this natural supplement - Psylium Husk - it is very mild and works. I prefer 'Swiss Natural Sources' brand.
    1-2 table spoons dissolved in liquid or with food per day is enough. Sold in Health stores. Looks like that: http://well.ca/products/swiss-natural-sources-whole_8624.html?ref=relprod&related_product=8625
    Looking forward to seeing you completely healthy and happy very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come at me you skin head! You Nazi! I used to shave my head to try to imitate a monk when I was younger

      Delete
    2. Oh baz. LOL. you are one schizophrenic mother... hope you are well Vlad.

      Delete
  2. Vlad what's going? I had a feeling that the docs are skeptic about med Mary Jane... She so fine! If you'd like i can ask a friend for a doctors contact who got prescribed med marijuana for migraines. The girl has been suffering from them all her life... In any case let me know.

    Madmhk -----> you know who i am...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dr. were always hesitant to prescribe inhaled marijuana but told our pt.s if they wanted just to go outside and smoke it. Of course they had to supply themselves. The Dr.s know it works but it is a headache to prescribe. Hope your feeling ok.

    ReplyDelete