Friday, December 21, 2012

Lessons Learned

I want to make a list of things that I learned through this experience, something that perhaps can help you or you loved one who's in a similar situation as I was.

The first thing I should probably mention is you will have a ton of relatives and friends, and probably read a lot of stuff on the net about some natural cancer cure that has no side affects and that the government is hiding it for $ purposes or whatever other conspiracy. Get that out of your head--FAST. If there was such a cure, first of all you would find lots of statistics about its effectiveness.. and you wont.. cause I did a LOT of research, everything from Gerson Therapy, special tea, rubbing honey on the cancer spot, or seeing some crazy shaman  to sticking a cucumber up your butt while it still attached to the bush.... yeah that exists out there. As for responding to your loved ones... tell them you will consult your doctor about it. Don't be angry at them, they are just very worried and are trying to do everything they can.

Get some hobbies that you can do at home. Like painting pottery, puzzles or other crafts. It might sound silly to you now, but, you will be spending a lot of time at home. And that stuff actually helps to focus on something else than being sick. And it helps time to pass by quickly-- something thats very important in the first few days after the chemo injection.

What helped me a lot was the fact that I asked Tanya to keep some pressure on me on home chores.. taking out the garbage, doing some vacuuming...etc  It made me feel less useless, which was good feeling. But she was gentle enough to see when I was really sick and did all that herself. The loved ones will have to know the balance when to push and when to stop.

You have to be positive. In my case, the survival rate was above 90%... Thats way more than I ever got in school in terms of marks. Do your research, ask your doctor all the arising questions.

Marijuana... What I call the miracle drug. It made the whole process soooo much easier. You should first ask your doctor about it. But to me it was a life saver. If you are a conservative parent or caregiver who does not believe in "drugs". Fuck off. This is not about you. This is about someone who will be puking their guts out, just because you don't believe in it.  If you are the patient and dont believe in it.. its time to be selfish and do what helps you. If I would be very stubborn.. I would have a cucumber up my butt right right now with a shaman rubbing honey on my stomach to cure my cancer.. Or if the anti nausea medicine they give you works.. go for it.

Its been some time now since my last chemo.. what to expect:
Prednisone stays about a year after you take the last pill. It makes your body store salts and water. So expect disproportionate weight gain. By that I mean, gaining more weight than you eat. Docs will tell you go easy on the sodium rich foods and water. I gained about 40lb while not eating more that justify anything above 20lb gain.

Looks like I got some nerve damage .. pinky and ring finger on left hand still feel tingly, and so is my toe on the right foot. I will ask about that during my next check up in mid Feb. But as far as I know, it either fixes itself or it doesnt.. Thats a chemo side affect.

Also writing this blog has helped and is helping me a lot. I was surprised how many followers from all over the world I get. Maybe you should start your own too!

feel free to email me with any questions: boolka@gmail.com

see you guys later!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog. I am the start of my journy against this desease.

    I starterd R-chop in feburay. Good news is 2 weeks ago in begining of may after my first scan it came out clean so does my blood works. Chemos are really kicking ass !!! but so much of what u have written here i recognise . I hope you are well and in good health this post gives me hopes and good feelings.

    ReplyDelete